brain . mind . body integrative health
Dr Jan Swanepoel
MBChB (UFS SA), FCPsych (SA)
1. Member of the Medical Association of South Africa (MASA)
2. Fellow of the College of Medicine South Africa (FCSA)
3. Member of the South African Society of Psychiatrists (SASOP)
4. Member of the Psychiatry Management Group, South Africa (PsychMg)
5. International Member of the American Psychiatric Association (APA)
6. International Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrist, United Kingdom (RCP)
7. International Member of the World Federation of Social and Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP)
8. Registered as Independent Specialist, Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
9. Registered with a Licence to Practice, General Medical Council United Kingdom (GMC)
Dr Jan Swanepoel qualified as Medical Doctor (MBChB, UOFS Bloemfontein, SA), as Specialist Psychiatrist (FCPsych, UCT Cape Town, SA) and gained extensive local- and international experience as Liaison Psychiatrist (physical illness related Psychiatry).
Dr Swanepoel specialized by completing formal post-graduate clinical positions at Grootte Schuur and Valkenberg Hospitals, attached to the University of Cape Town (UCT) Academic Program. He further completed formal international training positions on the University College London (UCL) post-graduate training scheme, supported by the UCL and Cambridge Academic Program.
Subsequent senior professional appointments include Consultant Psychiatrist to the Avon and Wiltshire NHS Trust (UK), Liaison Psychiatrist to Odstock General Hospital (UK), Liaison Psychiatrist to Constantiaberg Medi-Clinic, Netcare Blaauwberg and Milnerton Medi-Clinic, as well as Laison Psychiatrist to the Constantiaberg Haematology- and Bone Marrow Transplant Unit.
Currently Dr Swanepoel works as Principle Liaison Psychiatrist to Stellenbosch Medi-Clinic, in his capacity as NEUROCARE Director. NEUROCARE is a multi-disciplinary specialist group for brain disease offering regional services to the greater Cape Town and Winelands districts.
As dedicated Liaison Psychiatrist Dr Swanepoel has a special interest in the Psychiatric and Neuropsychiatric aspects of all the various sub-divions of the subject:
1.Neurology (e.g. Parkinson's disease, Epilepsy complications, Multiple Sclerosis MS),
2. Memory (e.g. Cognitive assessments, Dementia management, Attention deficit disorder),
3. Neurosurgical Rehabilitation. (e.g. Traumatic Brain Injury, after Neurosurgery, brain haemorrage),
4. Cancer (e.g. Oncology-related brain or mind complications, such as breast cancer support),
5. Haematology (e.g. Leukema, bone marrow transplants, Lymphoma support),
5. Rheumatology (e.g. Fibromyalgia, Rhumatoid Arthritis, Lupus SLE),
6.Cardiology (e.g. Vascular dementia, post-heart attack rehabilitation, Stroke support),
7. Pulmonology (e.g. Asthma, Chronic Obstructive Airway Diseas COLS),
8. Gynaecology (e.g. hormonally induced emotional states such as PMS, post-natal depression PND),
9. Pain (e.g. migrain, tension headaches, strategies for Fibromyalgia, pain modulating medication),
10. Treatment complications (e.g. opiate addiction in pain, compensatory alcohol dependency, medication side-effects).
Dr Swanepoel is also medical consultant and programmer to MEDIWEB, a software company specializing in the application of modern web-technologies to Clinical Neuroscience.
Personally Dr Swanepoel is a devoted Christian, is married to Annette (a Neurologist), and the couple has two daughters, Annalie and Nelia. His hobbies include playing amateur golf competetively, being a first-violinist in the Stellenbosch University Orchestra (USSO), maintaining a large bonsai collection, snowboarding and bush breaks.